Three shouts over the weekend for RNLI Jersey

It was another busy weekend for RNLI Jersey who responded to three separate shouts, on top of normal weekly training exercises.

The first tasking was on Saturday at 6:54pm for the St Helier inshore lifeboat. Jersey Coastguard had requested the St Helier ILB to assist in a search for a suspected missing spear fisherman in St Brelade’s Bay. A surface marker buoy had washed up on the beach with no swimmer or diver in the vicinity. The crew made best speed to Noirmont point to begin a shoreline search towards Beauport. Once the search was complete Jersey Coastguard stood the boat down and the crew returned to the station. It was later discovered that the surface marker buoy had blown off a boat earlier in the day.

On Sunday the St Helier all-weather lifeboat was requested to launch twice by Jersey Coastguard.

The first callout of the day occurred at 1:22pm, shortly after the crew had finished a regular training exercise. Jersey Coastguard received a request for help from a small motorboat that had lost engine power. There were no other vessels in the vicinity that were able to assist due to the large swell and therefore the Tamar-class all-weather lifeboat was tasked to assess and assist. The crew made their way to the vessel which was located close to passage rock. Once everyone was confirmed to be safe and well, the Coxswain made the decision that undertaking a tow was necessary and the safest way to assist the casualties.

The final tasking for the weekend was at 7:52pm on Sunday evening for a 12-metre vessel with engine problems near the Desormes buoy. The St Helier all-weather lifeboat was launched and made best speed to the vessel. The vessel had drifted to the north of Les Pierres de Lecq reef (the Paternosters) by the time the lifeboat arrived on scene. Once the two casualties onboard the motor vessel had been assessed, the Coxswain determined that it was necessary to tow the vessel back to St Helier. With the swell and tide now against the crew, the tow back to St Helier took three and a half hours. The crew were back on station in the early hours of Monday morning.

« All Reports
Back to top